Advantages Of Cantilever Beam:
1. Very simple to construct.
2. Only one fixed support is required, support on the opposite side is not required.
3. Cantilever beam creates a negative bending moment, which can help to counteract a positive bending moment created elsewhere.
This is particularly helpful in cantilevers with a back span where a uniform load on the back span creates positive bending, but a uniform load on the cantilever creates negative bending
4. The span can be greater than that of a simple beam because a beam can be added to the cantilever arms.
5. Because the beam is resting simply on the arms, thermal expansion and ground movement are fairly simple to sustain.
6. Cantilever beams are very rigid, due to their depth.
Disadvantages Of Cantilever Beam:
1. Large deflections restrict the size of cantilever beam.
2. Generally results in larger moments.
3. You either need to have fixed support or have a back span and check for the uplift of the far support.
4. when the cantilever beam is loaded at one end, the moment at the fixed end is higher, if more load is applied, it can break free from the support.