Advantages of Air Cooling System Engine
- Lighter in weight due to there being no radiator, cooling jackets and coolant.
- No topping up the cooling system
- No leaks to guard against.
- Anti-freeze is not required.
- The engine warms up faster than with a water-cooled design.
- This system can work in cold climates where water may freeze.
- Can be used in areas where there is a scarcity of cooling water.
Disadvantages of Air Cooling System Engine
- Less efficient cooling system, because the coefficient of heat transfer for air is less than that for water.
- It is not easy to maintain even cool around the cylinder, the cylinder deformation can occur.
- More noisy operation.
- Limited use in motorcycles, and scooters where the cylinders are exposed to the air stream.